Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Honeymoon Period

This is something that most MMOs experience from launch date to +/- 2 months after release. A flood of people get the game and with glossed over eyes they recommend the game to everyone they know. Queues to log into servers are extremely long; new servers get added to the server list and low level areas are flooded with players.

This I have seen and myself been engulfed in numerous times. (WAR, Aion, AoC, etc)

1-2 Months later though you suddenly see a dramatic decrease in players. Some server become ghost towns. People who proclaimed loudly for the game are now the ones that sneer at people still playing it.

The reason I am bringing this up at the moment is because I am being assaulted with this honeymoon infected players of Rift. People who have just started playing and those that have not played it yet but have become devoted advocates for the game. I get that they like the game or what they hear about the game at the moment but till the honeymoon period is over I am going to take what they say with a bucket load of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment